Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Back Home Again

Well it sure has been a long time since I wrote an update.  Sorry for disappearing like that but I didn't even want to think about blogging after my BFN.  I just needed time to heal from the emotional wounds.

Since that last blog I have taken an extended trip to see my brother, so I could spend some quality time with him.  It was good to see him using humor as a coping mechanism.  He made jokes about funeral directors calling to arrange a suitable date, and wore a t-shirt that says, "What's the Worst that can Happen?".  Morbid...maybe so, but you know, it is totally in keeping with our family's warped sense of humor.  And it sure beats moping around and a "woe is me" pity party, which I was guilty of after my 1st IVF treatment failed.  So kudos to my brother for having a great attitude in spite of the horrible crap that is ahead of him.  Seeing him, it's hard to believe just how bad his cancer is, as he looks pretty good health-wise.  At times you could tell he was in a lot of pain, but my big bro always tried to hide it.  He's a brave man.  But the facts are there and the word "terminal" isn't going away.  The bright side is that he has achieved a lot in his life; he is a loving Dad and a good, faithful husband - all the things that really matter!  Yep, I really enjoyed spending time with him and his family, helping out in the garden and just hanging out, hopefully being a distraction from his illness.  I also got to spend some quality time with my sister.  We haven't always been that close but this trip changed that.  She has become such a good friend and we were able to share so many deep conversations, especially during our long walks "home" after visits with my brother.  This trip was about building good memories to last a lifetime, I'm happy to report that was a mission accomplished.

The hardest part of the trip was being away from my Hubbs for so long.  Work commitments had him holding down the fort at home.  It was the longest we have ever been away from each other but thanks to the wonders of the internet we were able to keep in touch daily via email and Skype.  Gotta love technology, but gotta admit, I love Hubbs more :D

So I'm finally back in my home sweet home with my nearest and dearest.  I promise I will be writing again soon, as I have more news to share... ... ...

No comments:

Post a Comment