Monday, October 4, 2010

A Dark Mass

Wow, so much has happened since my last blog.  Where do I start?

Let's see...we were waiting for hcg levels to drop to zero...oh that's right! 

This time early last week I started complaining of lower abdomen pains again.  Nothing major, just tweaks and pulls.  The wilderness hike didn't help and so I took it easy but after I felt really tired.  Oh and did I mention that sex was unbearable, I mean no position, nothing was without severe pain so we had to give up.  Hubbs was NOT a happy bunny. 

By about Wednesday morning I was just not feeling quite right and the niggling abdomen pains were still there so with a nudge from the Hubbs I made an appointment at my Ob Gyn.  Arrived, she poked around and was satisfied that my cervix seemed ok, but as a precaution she advised another hcg test and an ultrasound just to see if this time we could see anything.  Had to return that afternoon. 

Hubbs agreed to get time off and come to the afternoon appointment as our last ultrasound was not exactly the joyous occasion we had been hoping for so off we went.  The ultrasound tech was super nice, telling us how sad it was that couples like us weren't having any luck while she got to see tons of white-trash girls coming in pregnant and asking when they likely conceived because they aren't sure who the Father is.  Major sigh, yeah we know, life is just not fair!  She said I had beautiful insides (errr...what!) and we should wait for the doctor to go over the results. 

We were in the waiting room for about 20 minutes.  The TV aired a show detailing adopted kids 20 years on...and it felt like one of those signs again.  Ok I get it, if this baby making lark doesn't pan out I promise we'll get serious about fostering to adopt.  I fought back the tears watching the parents on the TV greet their adopted babies. How my heart yearns for a child, biologically mine or not.  I just wanna be a Mum. 

Doctor arrives and takes us aside.  They found something.  A dark mass.  Oh but the good news, my hcg levels are down to 370.

Not long after that I was taken to the Same Day Surgery at the hospital and registered for a laparoscopy that very evening.  Thank god my Hubbs was at my side.  Another 20 minutes and I was undressed, robed up and had an IV drip ready for the operation.  I was stunned, lying there thinking this was just supposed to be a check up at the OB Gyn...how did I end up here?


I woke up in the hospital at about 9:20pm.  I'd been in the operating room for about an hour and a half where they found an ectopic behind my left ovary, about 3cm long.  The left tube was damaged so they removed it.  Apparently I was incredibly lucky nothing had ruptured; one of my blood vessels was really swollen.  They also found a large lesion and several smaller ones which they suspect is Endometriosis.  They removed the lesion for biopsy (waiting for results) and burned the others.

So what started out today as a check up for some mild pains ended up in an operation and the removal of my left ovarian tube.  Oh and I might have Endometriosis.  Great!

2 comments:

  1. ugh, so sorry to hear that your day ended unexpectedly in surgery. I am, however, very glad they found the ectopic before it ruptured. It sounds like maybe not a lot of endometriosis was found (did they give you a 'stage' diagnosis?) and it is a good thing that they were able to burn some of the endometriomas while they were in there (instead of another lap yet.) p.s. can I tell you that when I had my lap to look for endo I was really fascinated with the pictures they gave me.....weird ;-) Take care of yourself! Thinking of you and hoping for a swift recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ HopeBpatient: Thanks for your support!

    I spoke to the nurse about the results of the biopsy. Clinically she said it isn't Endometriosis but she said sometimes when you are pregnant (well sorta) it can skew the biopsy results. The report said it is more like inflammatory reative tissue from the ectopic. I have a follow-up appt on Oct 19th with the Doc and as he was the one who was in the operating room she said he will be able to give more info. In the meantime she wants me in for another hcg tomorrow to make sure those hcg levels are down again, just to be safe.

    I am recovery quickly :)

    ReplyDelete